Looking for a totally balanced and super yummy meal to enjoy during pregnancy? This one hits all the spots! Give baby his/her much-needed nutrients while you enjoy a delicious meal. This recipe is also super simple, which means it's easy to make and easy to manipulate to make it just how you want; swap out the quinoa for some wild rice, instead of sweet potato add a mango salsa, get creative and feed those healthy pregnancy cravings!
Baked Salmon & Sweet Potato over Quinoa with Fresh Spinach Salad
Baked sweet potato (1/2 whole)
Baked Salmon (2-3oz)
Salted to taste
Seasoned with pepper
Quinoa (1/2c cooked)
Spinach (1 c)
Alfalfa sprouts (1oz)
Fresh strawberries (1/2 c sliced)
Fresh orange bell pepper (1/2 sliced)
Avocado (1/4th sliced)
Almonds (1-2 tbsp sliced)
Balsamic Vinaigrette (2-4 tbsp)
1 cup whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 400ᵒ
2. Place whole sweet potato in oven.
3. Slice/chop fresh strawberries, ½ orange bell pepper, ¼ avocado and almonds. Toss everything with Spinach and alfalfa sprouts for salad – set aside in fridge to keep from wilting.
3. To cook quiona: Rinse 1c quinoa then add to a small pot with 2c water or 2c chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and reduce heat. Let simmer for 20min.
4. While Quinoa is cooking, place salmon skin-side down on a non-stick baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven until cooked through, ~20-25min.
5. When quinoa is finished, turn off heat, remove lid and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
6. After salmon is cooked, remove from oven and set aside, then check sweet potato for doneness – should be able to slide fork in easily.
7. Arrange plate with ~3oz baked salmon over 1/2c cooked quiona, ½ baked sweet potato on side (salt to taste if desired). Toss salad lightly in balsamic vinaigrette dressing and serve on side. Drink 1c whole milk with meal.